Netlify CMS Vs. Strapi CMS- A Comparison
Looking for a comparison between Netlify and Strapi CMS? This blog is all you must read.
November 3, 2022
We have discussed the headless Content management system in the previous sections. Headless CMSes have gained so much popularity in the market due to their flexible architecture. A headless CMS is an open-source content repository. It is used to store, edit, and create content. Netlify is also an open-source system. It is used as a Git workflow. It helps the editors by providing them with intuitive UI and workflows. It makes the use of Git effective.
It helps the developers to control Git effectively and consistently. It can be used with a static site generator to create highly responsive and flexible projects.
In Netlify the content is stored in the Git repository. It makes content versioning easier. It offers a multi-channel publishing opportunity for the content. It handles content updates through Git. There are various advantages of Netlify CMS for developers.
There are two types of CMSes available in the market. One is API-based, Strapi and the other is Netlify which is Git-based. We will discuss both of them in detail.
What Is Netlify CMS
It’s an open-source CMS that enables the Git workflow. It provides user-friendly Ul and workflows. It helps the developers to easily create a faster, more flexible project. The content can be stored in the Git repository with the code. It helps in publishing content to various channels. It offers you to handle content updates through Git.
Also Read: What Is Headless CMS
How To Integrate Netlify CMS Into a site?
The addition of a Netlify CMS to any site does not require much time as it consists of four simple steps. It is one of the latest technologies to create web pages. The installation process is quite easy. You need to create two files and do configurations according to your requirements. Then link them to the network. It can be extensible to generate UI and plugins.
- · Install the CMS
- · Setting up a backend
- · Configuration
- · Rendering of content
Install The Netlify CMS
The first step is installing the Netlify CMS to access its dashboard. Click on the new site Git and select GitHub. Select the desired Repo.
Set Up A Backend
Keep the site build command “npm run build” and a “dist” repository. After setting the configurations you can click on “Deploy site”.
The Netlify CMS helps in the management of content as it gives admin and editorial features. It uses an API to get the content.
Also Read: Headless CMS Vs Decoupled CMS
Netlify CMS Features
Some of the core features that a Netlify cms offers are as follows:
- It offers an easy and instinctive user interface.
- It allows configuring access to the CMS
- It provides automatic updates of GitHub and Gitlab.
- It offers HTTP support
- It comes with automatic templates for a swift start.
- It has all the tools which can deploy and manage the site.
- Netlify allows you to replace the hosting infrastructure.
- It has a dedicated cloud infrastructure that offers the best speed, scalability, and security.
- It provides an API for managing the project build.
- It offers an A/B testing system, a preview function, and an influential command-line utility.
- It offers a premium service that speeds up the site-loading process.
- Netlify is an open-source CMS, but it offers subscription plans also.
Also Read: Headless CMS Vs Traditional CMS
Netlify CMS Advantages
- It’s an open-source CMS, based on Jam stack technology, and offers an easy installation.
- It works with an SSG and offers high flexibility for creating previews and plugins.
- It uses GitHub and GitLab as content databases.
- It allows you to work with various content types by using custom fields.
- It has many default features which make the development process efficient.
- It is suitable for small and mid-sized enterprises. The functionalities can be extended by simply installing the plugins.
- It provides admin support also as it offers a domain and SSL certificate.
Also Read: Benefits Of Headless CMS
Strapi headless CMS is an open-source platform. It gives full control over the server layer. It minimizes vulnerable attacks and makes the whole stack more secure. It works with APIs. It is much faster than WordPress.
Strapi headless CMS can easily be scalable. It gives you full control over the application. It is built on Node.js and Reacts. It offers database flexibility. You can integrate it with any type of interface. By using plugins you can expand its functionality. It helps developers to build projects by using customizable APIs. It gives them the freedom to use tools according to their choice.
Know More About Strapi: Strapi Headless CMS
Main Features of Strapi Headless CMS
- It has an attractive dashboard and its features are easily accessible.
- Its deployment is tranquil to any company’s server to ensure data security.
- Easily install the plugins to create the content types.
- It can easily be customized and scalable.
- It has an administrative panel, tools for content, access control, and an API generator.
- It offers a lot of variants and can be used for websites and applications etc.
- It has default plugins that make your projects more attractive.
Also Read: Best Headless CMS
Advantages Of Strapi
- The headless CMS Strapi comes with excellent functionality for the existing CMS. Update the existing CMS is highly flexible.
- It’s an open-source free platform that is fully customizable.
- It comes with default plugins
- It works by using Restful and GraphQL APIs.
Strapi vs. Netlify CMS (A Quick comparison)
It works by using a Git workflow.
It works by using API.
Strapi cms can integrate with python, Node.js, React, PHP, Java, MySQL etc.
Netlify CMS can integrate with React and Gatsby.
It can be built as a single-page React app.
It allows you to create previews and editor plugins, and add a backend to support Git’s APIs.
It allows you to build customizable APIs.
It requires Rest and Graph APIs.
It does not require Rest and GraphQL APIs.
It requires image APIs.
It does not require image APIs
It offers built-in backups and restores features.
It does not offer built-in backups and restore features.
Authentication can be done via custom implementation.
It does not require two-factor authentication.
It requires an SDK.
It does not require any SDK.
It has a command-line interface
It does not have a Command line interface (CLI).
A Strapi headless cms requires a webhook from applications.
It does not require webhooks.
Strapi CMS requires a content management API.
A Netlify CMS does not require a content management API.
It comes with a custom user role.
The team management feature lacks a “custom user roles.”
Also Read: Kontent Headless CMS
Netlify vs. Strapi
Netlify is considered one of the best all-in-one platforms. It allows you to create engaging websites and applications easily. The websites designed by using the Netlify platform offer the best performance. It provides automated tools. These tools make the testing and building of web projects.
Netlify is a combination of various products and services. It makes web development tranquil. The combination of services and products offers vigorous and efficient solutions to the end users. The Netlify CMS uses an MIT license as it is created like React Application. It allows the developer to add previews and plugins. It uses a Git repository to store the content.
Strapi headless CMS offers you the functionality to update the existing CMS and also create a new one. It does not require manual coding. In a Netlify CMS, if you changed the data model you need to manually update the configuration. Strapi requires technical knowledge to run the setup. It does not support the migration of data across various environments. Its admin interface is not very responsive.
Also Read: Headless CMS Drupal
We have discussed the Strapi and Netlify headless CMS, its features, advantages, and use in detail. Both are very powerful platforms and support the headless approach. They are used for building successful projects. This guide by Vizteck solutions will help you a lot in the selection of the best headless CMS for your business. We provide an optimal solution for you to achieve your business goals effectively.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What Is The Main Difference Between Netlify CMS And Strapi CMS?
With a Strapi headless CMS, it is easy to update the existing CMS via UI. The Netlify CMS has a different data model which requires updating the CMS manually.
Is Netlify A Headless CMS?
Netlify is an open-source CMS and provides instinctive workflows. No, it does not require an API for content delivery.
Is It Possible To Deploy An API on Netlify?
Yes, there are various ways to deploy websites to Netlify. To make the deployment process effective an API is very useful.
Is Strapi Completely Free?
Strapi is an open-source platform that uses Rest and GraphQL API to deliver content to various platforms.
Also Read: Magnolia Headless CMS